Wednesday, August 24, 2011

1st Grade Cat Lesson: Cats!

The art history examples for this lesson were Paul Klee's "Cat and Bird" and Toko's "Cat and Spider". We compared and contrasted everything from the anatomy of a cat in each (the body parts and the shapes the artist used to represent that body part) to what they thought of their prey. The Young Artists had the choice of  drawing a more realistic cat (like Toko's) or a CRAZY CAT like Klee's! I can't wait to post these artworks! Like I've mentioned before... this is my first foray into elementary art. I'm not only trying to figure out what the students at this school have already learned, but I'm trying to figure out what each grade is "capable" of. It's been a looooong time since my elementary education practicum experience! The first graders really loved the oil pastel/ watercolor take on this... but I changed it to marker and colored pencil for the rest of the 1st graders. I need to spend a few more weeks on classroom flow before I introduce wet media. Right now we're all getting used to the schedule and each other. But more painting coming soon - I promise!











No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment!